Rare Cancer Stories
Share |
Home   Support   Story   Forum Support   Info   News & Clinical Trials   Cancer Dictionary   Events Calendar   SiteMap   Twitter   Facebook

Making It Through Anal Cancer Treatments

İ mp327 - June 27, 2009

Join others on our Rare Anal Cancer Support Forums

I am a 55 year-old female, who, in May 2008, while on vacation, began experiencing rectal bleeding with bowel movements. Upon returning home, I saw my internist, who diagnosed me with a bleeding hemorrhoid after doing a digital rectal exam. I was given a prescription, but also a card referring me to a colorectal group for a colonoscopy, NOT because of the rectal bleeding, but because I was 54 at the time and had not yet had my first screening. At that moment, it would have been very easy for me to have blown it off as a bleeding hemorrhoid and nothing to be concerned about. However, I felt that it was more serious and scheduled an appointment with the specialist. I saw her on June 18, 2008 for my consult visit, prior to scheduling the colonoscopy. After hearing my symptoms, she decided to examine me that day by anoscope. When she completed the exam, as she and her assistant left the room and closed the door, I heard her assistant mention Farrah Fawcett. At that very moment, I knew I had cancer! The doctor came back in and told me that, even before biopsy, she was 99% sure I had anal cancer. The colonoscopy was done two days later, and the biopsy results came back the following week confirming her diagnosis. I was totally shocked and petrified.

My next two appointments were with a medical oncologist on July 10th. and a radiation oncologist on July 11th. The treatment explained to me briefly by the colorectal doctor was exactly the protocol the oncologists were recommending--2 rounds of chemotherapy, using Mitomycin and 5-Fluorouracil (5FU), concurrent with 6 weeks of intensity modulated radiation therapy. A PET scan was done on July 16th. to stage my cancer, and fortunately, I was stage I, with no evidence of nodal involvement or spread to other organs. I met with a chemo nurse on July 18th. to review the drugs, their side effects, and how to combat them. On July 21st., I had surgery to implant a chemo port in my chest. On July 22nd., the radiation center did CT scanning to finalize my treatment plan and did permanent tattoos on my skin to aid in lining me up correctly every day on the machine.

I began treatment on July 28, 2008--not knowing what to expect and scared to death. Anti-nausea meds were taken at home in advance of the IV's, which also included anti-nausea drips prior to the chemo drugs. Mitomycin was given at the chemo center, then a pump was hooked up to my port and a bag of 5FU was set for a 96-hour drip. I was sent home with the "fanny pack" containing the pump. I experienced some nausea, but the anti-nausea meds given to me helped tremendously and I never did vomit. Radiation treatments also began that day, and for the first 2 weeks were pretty uneventful, as you do not feel any effects from the radiation in the beginning. My hair began falling out on day 21, but I did not lose it all, just in clumps.

The second round of chemo began on August 25th. and with it, I experienced more nausea, fatigue and lack of appetite than in round one. However, still no vomiting. My weight plummeted to 92 pounds. By week 3 of the radiation, my skin started to burn. It continued to worsen the farther I got into my treatments, and honestly, by the last week, I just wanted to die. I didn't see any way that I was going to make it to the last treatment. I was terribly burned and every time I urinated or had a bowel movement, I would just want to scream in pain. To make matters worse, we're not talking about just one or two BM's a day, we're talking multiple episodes of diarrhea and very frequent urination. It was pure hell! However, with the support of my husband and friends, I did make it to the last treatment--I still am amazed.

After the last radiation treatment, the healing began very quickly. By ten days later, I was back on my treadmill, walking every day, and soon got back to running. However, this was not without many lingering side effects, mostly related to bowel issues. It seemed like everything I ate just went right through me. I didn't venture out of the house unless necessary, for fear of losing control of my bowels. This is a very upsetting side effect many anal cancer patients deal with, but it does get better!

I have had numerous follow-ups since treatment concluded, including several anoscopic exams by my colorectal doctor, PET scans, CT scans, and of course the much anticipated digital rectal exam! I am now almost 10 months post-treatment and so far, so good. All my follow-ups have yielded good results. I am feeling good, despite occasional fatigue, ongoing hip and pelvic stiffness and decreased range of motion, and some bowel issues (mostly due to bad food choices). I just had a PET scan on June 11th. and there is no evidence of disease. I am very hopeful that I will beat this disease, but everytime a follow-up test nears, I worry. I guess that's normal in the battle with cancer.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read my story.